Thursday, September 3, 2009

09-03-2009 What I learned today

Things I learned today
I started a new "core lesson" today, and was greeted with much new vocabulary. 
Some words defining one item's relative position to another
  • ue = top, surface/on top of  i.e. Neko wa shatsu no ue ni imasu. The cat is on the shirt. (A phrase quite apt for whenever I visit my mom and her cat makes its bed on my shirts)
  • naka = inside i.e. Kagi wa kuruma naka ni arimasu. The key is inside the car. (Sadly, also a phrase which applies to me a few times in my past)
  • shita = below/beneath/under i.e. Hon wa isu no shita ni arimasu. The book is under the chair.


Many words involving a house, it's rooms and some things within them
  • ie = house/home
  • apaato = apartment
  • doa = door
  • mado = window
  • shinshitsu = bedroom
  • toire = bathroom/toilet
  • daidokoro = kitchen
  • nagashi = kitchen sink
  • ima = living room/family room


And a few others
  • kisu = kiss
  • ai =love
  • daite = hold/hug
  • daisuki = love/great fondness/I love you
  • ojiisan = grandfather/elderly man
  • obaasan = grandmother/elderly woman
  • suwaru = to sit
  • tatsu = to stand
  • doko = where

I've also learned that arimasu/arimasen applies to inanimate objects, while imasu/imasen
applies to living things.
Questions on my mind
  • Nothing, for the time being! I'm content with absorbing everything I learned today. Not to say I don't have any questions, just that none are springing to mind at the moment. :)


Parting Practice Phrase
  • Watashi wa otousan ga daisuki desu. Watashi wa okaasan ga daisuki desu. わたしわおとうさんがだいすきです。 わたしわおかあさんがだいすきです。 I love my father. I love my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment