Thursday, September 3, 2009

Practicing Practices

I have yet to develop a particular routine for my studying habits. It's as general as making sure that I spend at least a half hour a day, if not a full hour, either reviewing my hiragana flashcards or using my PC learning software. That means that I may do my studying soon after I get up (harking back to my college days), perhaps in the middle of the day shortly after my daily exercise (another thing I'm keeping vigilant about), or even late at night before I go to bed (I'm also a bit of a night owl).

Honestly, I find that each of these times has benefits. During the morning I'm well rested, my brain isn't full of the happenings of the day, perhaps I'm able to absorb information easier in this state. During the middle of the day, I've just had lunch, just exercised, so my body is ready for a rest and my mind is ready for a workout as well. And at night the day is over, I've mentally packed my suitcase and whatever has happened over the day is a non-issue until the morning. There are no phone calls, no distractions, and the light of my desk lamp casts a cozy glow over my room, really letting me absorb whatever I'm doing.

I guess the point of all that is that I'm working to see if I glean any benefit from one time of day over the other, but at this point I don't. I suppose it comes down to what suits me at each time. Although I will say that I practice less often in the morning than either afternoon or night. Today it was the afternoon. I'm reflecting now, as I've absorbed a lot of new vocabulary. I don't expect myself to remember it all on the spot tomorrow, but the good thing about these lessons, are that they ease you into new words, by associating them with words you already are familiar with.

For example, I was greeted with the phrase "Otokonoko wa suwatte imasu." and four pictures.
  • A picture of a girl sitting on a picnic table
  • A picture of a man standing in an office
  • Apicture of a boy sitting on a bench
  • A picture of a woman standing in the subway
 To this point I had never heard or seen the word suwatte before. But I could make the logical connection that otokonoko means "boy", so whatever suwatte is, the boy is doing it. I click the picture, and am notified I made the correct choice. Good! Next, the phrase "Onna no hito wa tatte imasu." is given. Same thing, I know onna no hito means woman, and I've never seen or heard tatte before, but the woman is doing it in that photo. Now, like me, you've probably already connected the mental dots, and figured suwatte probably means something to do with sitting, and tatte has something to do with standing. Well, the next phrase will confirm or debunk that assumption. "Otoko no hito wa tatte imasu." The man is standing. I look at the photo depicting a man. Yes, yes he is. My deduction was right, and I've learned two new words by association with previously known words.

It really is like building blocks starting with the very foundation and building your way up. I'm still on the elevator to the first floor, but I'm not having to press the emergency stop button yet!

-Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment